Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Crying Silas

So the last several days, Silas has been extremely irritable. It seems like he's only happy when he's sleeping. After he eats he's ok for about 30 minutes, and then he starts screaming again. I thought at first that maybe he has a rash and that was irritating him. When he was in the hospital he had some baby acne, and that has gotten much worse lately... to the point that I thought it was a rash because it's on all over his face, neck, and at the top of his chest and back. So I called the doctor today and they said to come in. The doctor reassured me that it was just baby acne, which was good because I felt so bad thinking that it could be a rash and that Silas could be itching so badly. But instead the doctor came to the conclusion that he needs to eat more often and that he could be having problems with gas... which makes sense. He doesn't burp really well after eating, and sometimes when he's fussy I can feed him and he poops while eating and then acts like he feels better. Anyways, the doctor told me to feed him every two hours and to give him gas drops before feeding him. So I feel like I'm pretty much going to be feeding him non-stop and I'm beginning to get a little stressed out. He's currently been eating about every 3 hours and I feel like I produce just enough milk for that. So I'm a little worried about not producing enough for him to eat every 2 hours. Plus, I'm going back to work in 1 1/2 weeks and I've been pumping so that I can continue nursing after I go back to work... and I'm wondering when I'm going to have the time to pump and if there's going to be anything to pump! haha. Anyways... I know everything will work out, I'm just beginning to get a little stressed out. Anybody have any advice or suggestions?? I feel completely clueless about how to handle this. Also, PLEASE pray for me since I'm having to go back to work and leave Silas with a sitter. I'm completely dreading it! Anyways, gotta go feed the little man!

4 comments:

Ada said...

God made our bodies in such an amazing way. Your body will respond to the stimulus for more milk faster than you even expect. At first, you may need to try pumping right after he eats- while the milk is flowing. Within a day or two your production will be up to where you need it. Drink LOTS of water- if it gets too mundane- add some lemon. Another thing I would look into is a miracle called Colic Calm. (www.coliccalm.com) Whenever Chloe dealt with gas, it was what relieved it instantly (were talking 5 minutes here). I get it faster when it comes by regular mail than ups, but that may be because we are in Troy. I'm praying for you April!!!!! You can also do what they call "double pump" to get your supply built up for when you go back to work. Each time he eats, pump for a few minutes-- just remember to taper back off before you go to work so your not engorged sitting there waiting to pump! If pumping makes you sore, or the extra nursing- try rubbing some milk on after your done, or lanolin--both work wonders. It works too when he starts teething-- he won't hurt you with his teeth- you can just feel them right as they come in! I'm so proud of you for nursing! Its such a wonderful thing for Silas and you too!!! You can email me if you need anything: handley27@att.net or call 334-328-0020!

Alyse said...

Aww, I am sorry to hear that he is having a rough time. Aubree did this when she was aout 3 months old and we had ZERO explanation for it. We just called it her "five oclock fits" because it started around dinner time every night. We tried everything and she would just scream for a good hour nonstop. One day though, she just stopped. Hang in there and good luck going back to work, it is hard...but just tell yourself its whats best for him and you'll do fine.

The VanZoerens said...

Even though I don't really have any suggestions for you, just know that Arden and I love you and Silas very much and we know that this will pass quickly :) Just try not to worry too much because worrying won't help at all! I LOVE YOU!

Nanny Tucker said...

I'm sorry that Silas is crying so much. I will keep y'all in my prayers.
Love you!
Theresa